Hokkanen Joins Latham & Watkins
* John Hokkanen has joined Latham & Watkins as knowledge manager for the firm's international technology department. Hokkanen, former chief knowledge counsel at Alston & Bird L.L.P., will focus on the capture and reuse of intellectual capital, and the methods and systems with which the company delivers client services. He is a member of the Law Technology News Editorial Advisory Board.
* Joining AmLaw: Sheryn Bruehl has joined the LegalTech division of American Lawyer Media Inc. (the parent company of Law Technology News) as a sales manager, based in Milwaukee. Previously, Bruehl was a partner at Oklahoma's Chapman & Bruehl L.L.C. and a member of the LTN Editorial Advisory Board.
Bruehl with Dan Coolidge
* Musical Chairs: Kurt Sanford has been promoted to C.E.O. of LexisNexis Asia Pacific; and Steve Zubrycki has been pegged as Sanford's successor as the senior vice president and publisher, large law firm markets. (Zubrycki served most recently as vice president, large law firm operations and alliances.)
* Norman Willox Jr., chair of LexisNexis' National Fraud Center Inc., has been named officer of privacy, industry and regulatory affairs. Willox is now responsible for overseeing domestic and international privacy and regulatory activities as well as global industry relations for the company.
* Michael B. McCloskey has been retained by the fraud center as senior manager of environmental consulting. He will develop a consulting strategy to help clients perform environmental due diligence, asset investigations, litigation support, potentially responsible party searches and cleanup cost abatement investigations.
* Managing iManage: Dan Carmel has been appointed vice president, marketing and business development at iManage Inc. Carmel will oversee corporate communications and product marketing of the iManage WorkSite suite.
The company also named Marcie Stewart and Michael Stonebreaker to its board of advisors. Stewart is the former vice president of worldwide sales for Documentum Inc., and Stonebreaker is the former CTO of Cohera Corp.
* G&G Veep: Les Hansen has been appointed vice president of sales and marketing at Gavel & Gown Software Inc. Hansen, formerly director of sales at the company, will be responsible for all sales and marketing initiatives, including continued support for Gavel & Gown's reseller network.
* Consulting: Shelley Spiecker has joined Holland & Hart L.L.P.'s Persuasion Strategies group as a senior litigation consultant. Spiecker, a member of the American Society of Trial Consultants, and chair of its professional standards committee, will provide litigation consulting, advocacy training, and other support to Holland & Hart attorneys, clients, in-house counsel, and other firms.
* New COO: Starwire Corp., of Hayward, Calif., has named Robin Pou as chief operations officer. She previously was vice president of ebusiness operations at Gaylord Digital. Starwire is a Web-based network service provider that delivers Web content management tools.
* SoftWise Hires: Marcia Okon has been named to the new position of director of business development at SoftWise. She will focus on supporting and enhancing the company's existing partners' efforts, while also growing the partner channel. SoftWise also appointed Erik Goldring as product support specialist.
* Quorum Manager: Kimberly Stein has been named key account manager for the New York City metropolitan area for Quorum. Stein previously was director of sales applications nationwide for law.com.
* Downgrades: Ziff Davis Media Inc. reports that James Dunning Jr. has been replaced as chairman, president and C.E.O., "effective immediately," and Avy Stein has been named to serve as interim chairman and C.E.O.
Stein is a member of ZD's board of directors, and a founding partner of Willis Stein & Partners, which acquired Ziff Davis Publishing in April 2000.
The recruiting firm SpencerStuart has been selected to headhunt.
* New Manager: Alice Keefer has been hired by Inmagic Inc., which develops knowledge management and library software, as the company's first Europe-based relations manager for European dealers.
* Concord University School of Law, an online law school and division of Kaplan Inc., announces:
Martha Siegel has been named associate dean, and retains her other titles as dean of students, and director of academic support and Concord's legal writing programs. William Weston has taken a leave of absence from the Florida Coastal School of Law, to be Concord's assistant dean of program development.
Steven Bracci has been named Concord's associate dean, 1st year programs. John Moye has been named president of the Colorado Bar Association.
* Quick Takes: Active Technologies Inc., which creates calculations software, has named William Cosden as vice president and general counsel. He joins the company from beyond.com.
* Jean Richards has joined Legal Files Software Inc. as marketing manager. She most recently served as marketing manager at Lexis Document Services.
* Gene Ziegler is the new chief learning officer at Phoenix-based Corpedia Education.
* Jon Cates has been appointed director of sales for the Americas by Motion Media Technology. Cates most recently served as director of international sales at Iridex Corp.